My stats exam is over (as of Friday).Bob, you have changed the world, making it just a tiny bit better for graduate students in psychology at Laurier. I feel my classmates of PS600 would agree. Statistics is really not that bad.
I should be more specific. Statistics is really that bad... it's fecking absurd. In November Bob was quoted as saying, "We're not in the real world anymore, colleagues. We're off in Star Trek somewhere." That does not sound promising, when you don't even like long division... and all of a sudden you have to think about hyperdimensional space. But alas, it has to be done. And thanks to Bob, it was fun. Fun, like when he used the example of why you need to keep other variables constant when you are estimating the effect of a single variable - "You can't have someone running all around your hyperdimensional surface changing their age when you're trying to determine the effects of t.v. watching." I sure know from now on, I won't let my variables run all over MY hyperdimensional surface, changing their ages.
So now the exam is over, and I'll be a bit nostalgic for the quirky Wednesday and Friday morning classes in which we were treated to visual aides cut from Rasin Bran boxes, called colleagues - not students, and warned not to let our variables lurk. On to qualitative, goodbye statitstics. Strangely enough, I'll miss it!
1 comment:
Strangely enough, I believe I had a dream with my old stats professor last night. I think in order to be someone who teaches Statistics you have to be passionate about it. And anyone who is passionate about statistics... well, they are bound to be awesome and out there some of the time. Come to think of it, I'm supposed to be the T.A. for that class this coming semester. I should email the guy. And I really should try to include something about my "hyperdimensional surface" in there, just to show off. Or to be incredibly nerdy. Or both?
Post a Comment