Nov 21, 2005

Sleep isn't scheduled for a while

A picture is worth a thousand words. This is how I feel lately... but things are going really well. (She's sleeping, not crying.) I've got a manageable amount of work left before the end of term. In fact, as I listen in to my undergraduate friends comment on their workload, I wonder how I got so lucky. By all accounts, next semester is much more difficult. So here's to getting your work done and sacrificing sleep. I'm going to be a psychologist after all of this is said and done, but I'm going to be a damn sleepy one.

For some reason, it hurts to look to the right. I'll probably have to get that checked out when things slow down. I'm booked pretty solid lately, between school, practicum, and volunteer committments. But I'm having a blast. Wonder what it is about me that thrives on insanely busy schedules? Probably the post-its... I've taken to scheduling by post-it notes. It's really fulfilling to see all the pretty colours stuck all over, and even more so when you accomplish a task and are able to peel it from the wall and throw it away. It's reminiscent of those chocolate-filled advent calendars. It reminds me that I'm getting there, wherever "there" happens to be. Right now, "there" is December 21st, the other side of two major presentations, about 25 practicum hours, an evaluation proposal, and a 20 pg journal article on Community Psychology theory hooking up with Sociology and having a little love-child named Institutional Ethnography. Actually, Sociology is more like a single mom, who already has a kid. CP is like Hugh Grant in About a Boy, just pretending to be a single parent so that he can get laid. No, it's not like that at all... but I have to write a 20 page paper on this idea, so humor me when I try and make it more interesting. It's either this or colourful post-its, and I'm running out of wall space.

5 comments:

Ryan said...

It hurts to look to the right?! Your eyes or your neck?

I think you're onto something with the post-it note strategy. Maybe they should make chocolate post-its as further positive reinforcement. As your boyfriend I feel the need to support you in this, so if you run out of wall space, you can put post-its on me.

Love you!

Leah said...

Chocolate post-its! Ryan, you are brilliant.

PS I too love the colorful post-it life-arranging phenomenon. Oh how it brings a rainbow of disposable (nay, recyclable) power to my fingertips.

Janice said...

Maybe this is tonally off... but I have the best dead baby joke for you:

What's the difference between a hamburger and a dead baby?

I didn't eat a hamburger for lunch.

Anonymous said...

dead babies aside, i thought i would reply to your post just to let you know that i read them :)- as i was told this past weekend.

i hope everything is moving on schedule for you so you can sleep soon.

and i just wanted to share a little fact about post-its:
the sticky part on the back is made of tiny tiny spheres of adhesive, so it can cover the least amount of surface area while maintaining its stick. that's what makes it re-stickable. and did you know post-it makes a gluestick with the same type of repositionable adhesive, so you can make anything a post it! maybe even chocolate.... mmmm.....but eww...

Janice said...

But mostly mmmm!