Feb 20, 2008

WTF, Smarties - And Oregon

Did you know, Smarties means something different in America?



I cannot even wrap my head around this reality. Smarties, in the US of A, are Rockets! Or what we Canadians call Rockets. Does this mean they don't even have Canadian Smarties? Do they not know about eating the red ones last? This blows my mind. For more on this shocking development, check out
Everything you ever wanted to know about Rockets but were afraid to ask

IN OTHER NEWS:

As I will be going to Portland, Oregon next week for a tobacco research conference (as my last official act as a researcher for the Comprehensive School Health Research team), I shall put resolving this Smarties business on my list...

List of things to do whilst in Oregon:
1. Find American Smarties, and bring Canadian Smarties to show to Americans I will inevitably meet at said conference. Discuss.
2. Visit the local animals (i.e. the zoo and the aquarium)
3. Make purchases at one of 13 (that's right, THIRTEEN!) Local Yarn Stores (i.e., "LYS" for you inter-web-savvy knitters)
4. Drink lots of wine with my co-worker, because she's fun to drink wine with. She's usually really quiet, but when you get her liquored up, hilarious statements ensue.
5. Probably I should go to some sessions about tobacco research. Maybe.

As a post script, I've discovered that knitting needles are now permitted on airplanes as carry-on luggage. Seeing as I will be spending two days in an airplane in the next week, this makes me very happy. But seeing as guards at airport security check-points may or may not know of this development (and are sometimes prone to take sharp things from people regardless of the regulations), I printed off the lists of allowable and forbidden carry-on items from both the American and Canadian federal departments of transportation (highlighting knitting needles as allowable, with no less than pink highlighter). I'm going to try to go incognito (with the bamboo sock needles I haven't yet broken in), but in case there's a problem, stitch holders were suggested as a way to make sure I don't actually lose any knitting if they do in fact decide to confiscate the needles despite the federal regulations. I wonder if they'd confiscate the stitch holders, too, just to be bastards? Okay, that was way too long of a post script. Yay, big trip!

1 comment:

John said...

I was in Texas last week, and the department of homeland security were total assholes. I don't know why they have such a hard-on for liquids and gels, but they certainly take it personally if you forget to bag them. They yelled at this one lady (who, to add to the indignity, was barefoot, as her shoes had already gone through the x-ray machine) until she cried, and then sent her to the back of the line sans footwear.

I can see why people in airports don't smile, but I think a certain degree of politeness is as necessary a prerequisite for civilization as is not shitting where you eat.