Apr 25, 2007

Do You Ever Wake Up Scared?

There are 28 hours left until my thesis defense. My apartment is in various states of transition to Prince Edward Island. Some of my things have been abandoned on the "give away or throw away" shelf in our living room, and there is nothing left in the fridge but condiments. We have resisted dismantling the t.v., not that either of us have time to watch movies anymore. The pets know something big is going down, but their little furry brains haven't figured out what.
How do people live like this? I suppose that people can sustain any kind of madness on a temporary basis. So I keep reminding myself. But alas, I wake up with a jolt, hours before normal, my frantic brain running over a checklist to make sure the world hasn't ended: I'm still in my bed, there's time left to pack, my defense isn't for another 32 hours, and it's all under control.
But is it? How can something like finishing a Masters degree and moving to a new province (likely to stay there alone given the impending long-distance relationship) to start a new job and new life, all over the course of four days... how can anything that full of changes be "under control"? So I wake up scared.

6 comments:

Janice said...

Congrats! I hope it will be/is/was going well! You are so close to being finished... oh, the envy. I've still got a full 12 months of thesis to look forward to. I really should start thinking of a name.

I can't wait to see you this weekend. My heart overflows with anticipation.

bag marla said...

if anyone's got it under control, it's you!

bag marla said...

I just wanted you to know that I miss you already. *sniff*

I hope you had a safe and happy move and best of luck on your first day of work!

Unknown said...

Ahh, I'm envious. By now you're probably on the Island. It's our home. We're moving back from Alberta at the end of June. Shh, our families don't know yet. =)

Uh yeah, so I came across this by googling "Islanderese" and it brought up something like three results, and one of them was a blog entry by Ryan, and I just kinda followed the link to here. Sometimes it's interesting to know how random people stumble across your blog. And I guess maybe makes it a little less creepy, lol. Anyway, good luck. =)

Unknown said...

Uh yeah, I'm not actually Shamus, I meant to post anonymously. Shamus is my son - I guess I left his gmail logged in. =P

Shauna said...

I love that random people can stumble across my blog, and actually take the time to comment. Hooray! And yes, I am now on the Island. A bit of a whirlwind, but good times. Just different. And bittersweet because of all the friends we left behind (who will now have to come visit *hint,hint*)