I've begun comparing my thesis to all sorts of unpleasant things in an attempt to explain what I'm feeling to people. My two favourite metaphors thus far are as follows:
Puking
You know that feeling when you need to puke but you haven't yet? That nauseous build-up of nasty? That irrational fear of actually puking, where you plead with God, and anyone who will listen that if they just prevent the puking, you'll do anything. But the stupid thing is that if you actually puke, there's immeasurable relief in that. So I know I need to write, and I know although it will suck while doing it, once it's done it'll be better, I just don't want to do it. Please, don't make me do it!
Running
I've never been good at running. I always get discouraged on the second half of the run. The home stretch always kills me. I get a head ache, I get muscle cramps, my feet hurt, and I'm thirsty. But I have to keep running. Especially now - when I have only a few weeks to finish my final copy of the thesis and I'm still writing a first draft of two sections. And it's not even like I win a prize for finishing the race. Instead I get punished with paying another semester of tuition if I get there late. Damnit, that's not good behavioural incentive.
So that probably gives you a heads-up on my state of mind right now... running and puking aren't happy metaphors, but there's an end in sight. Damnit, I just have to get there.
Mar 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds like you are on a killer diet.
AHhhh... it was too obvious.
Yeah, I was thinking about the idea of running and puking...at the same time!! Gross. As long as you have sneakers you can throw in the wash, though, it might be alright.
Post a Comment