
It's almost Spring. And with almost-Spring comes Roll up the Rim to Win (henceforth referred to as RUTRTW). So much hope comes with the re-appearance of the RUTRTW cups. It's like Groundhog Day, except you have to re-live the anticipation (and subseqquent disappointment) every time you have coffee. I saw a maintenance guy outside the Library drinking from a RUTWTW cup last week. I almost hugged him, I was so happy they were back. And just when I was making a March resolution to use my reusable thermal cup
Today was my first Timmy-Ho's of the new season of give-aways. I looked longingly at the badly-drawn Toyota Camry Hybrid on the side of my cup, thinking to myself, "If I won that car, I could pay off my student loans. And I deserve to pay off my student loans. Therefore I deserve to win that car."
And I seriously think that way every single time I have a coffee from Tim Hortons until those stupid cups are gone.
6 comments:
I can almost hear what the Tim's workers are thinking: "Oh boy, the season of handling pieces of soggy chewed paper cups is upon us yet again."
How do they contain their joy?!
You sneaky bugger. I love you so!
Oh shit, no word of lie, the first four letters of my word verification are "cafe"!!! Holy shit. Cool.
cafe!? and all i got was ztglfkw!
I hate RUTRTW days because if I ever throw one out without checking first I find myself wondering if that was the winner. and I never win anything, not even a crappy doughnut.
that and I have to be reminded of that school teacher who sued their student because the teacher threw away a winning cup and the kid picked it out of the garbage and found that it was a winner.
The only time I threw out a roll up the rim cup without rolling up said rim, I actually went back to the garbage can and grabbed it out.
I am fairly certain that passing strangers might have thought I was rummaging through trash for un-rolled-up cups. But so be it; I have no pride, or shame, for that matter.
I, who don't even drink coffee, have rolled up 5 rims so far into this season's contest and NO winners. None. And I'm not even looking for a TV or car. Just a muffin. There is something so satisfying about free food. You should have seen how the law students flocked to a lecture on labour law (which is the opposite of thrilling) to get free pizza. Based on my memory of the youth sections of political parties in Fredericton, they are totally on to that. Free food, and cast a vote for x. Oh the ideals of democracy. Hmm, I seem to have wandered off topic of RUTR....!
Yes, M-E, I seem to recall even worse from the youth parties in Fredericton... like, free beer for the rugby team if they all came to the Cellar and joined the young Liberals, then voted for a particular something-or-other. But I can't complain. I like to use free food in the GSA to sucker people into coming to our unpopular events (pretty much any event is an unpopular one, because grad students aren't interested in building a sense of school community, they'd rather have their own lives and just use the school as a place to do work... not fun! Don't they see the potential for networking with other grad students and making connections that will eventually serve you well in your future career as an academic or whatever, knowing other smarty-pants pays off!)
Again, off the topic, and a way-too-huge parenthetical comment, but whatever.
Post a Comment