As I sit in the Kitchener Public Library, I am keenly aware of how desperately dependent on the internet I am. I cannot manage my money, keep in touch with my friends, or even know what to wear tomorrow without checking my favourite websits. I am fearful that most of us are this dependent on the internet. And I'm pissed, too. After two months of the Fred-e Zone, and free highspeed wireless internet, I am aghast at how expensive the proposition of wireless highspeed is. Depsite this, I am hooked, and refuse to go back to dial-up. Shame, shame. How easily we are spoiled.
My new life is slowly settling into place, and I am happy to report I love my new apartment. My new city/neighbourhood, however, is a different story. Ryan kids me about not wanting to drive everywhere, but I think it's an actual phobia. After six comfy years in Fredericton, a "region" with half a million people (because they call K-W separate cities, but I can't tell which one I'm in at any given time) - that's terrifying!
Hopefully I will become numb to the strangeness of it all soon. There are great things about the place. For example, outside Zellers, where we bought a dog-proof garbage can (lesson learned from last apartment) there was a guy playing a flute, wearing sparkly celestial patterned belts and rainbow clothes. He offered to tell my fortune when I gave him two dollars. But I think right now, I'm confused enough just with the present. Let's leave the future where it belongs, at least until I can grasp today.
I miss everyone and everything, but I am hopeful.
Aug 20, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You've made it! Good work. I just watched Anchorman thanks to uberspense cable and your comment about that man with the flute reminded me of Ron Burgundy's fine jazz flute stylings. It's pretty sweet.
Gorsh, I miss you. Maybe that's why I've been drinking myself into oblivion as of late? But you know, don't cry for me et cetera. School will begin soon, and then I can revert back to wishing that it was summer.
Right now, I'm just glad to know you are safe and happy... and I'm also quite pleased to be less hung over than last weekend. Things are certainly coming up Janice.
Post a Comment